Diploma supplement is being issued in a widely spoken European Language (English) given automatically and free of charge to every student upon graduation
DIPLOMA SUPPLEMENT : A NEW EXPANSION FOR INTERNATIONALISATION
What is the diploma supplement ?
The Diploma Supplement (DS) is a document attached to a higher education diploma aiming at improving international ‘transparency’ and at facilitating the academic and professional recognition of qualifications (diplomas, degrees, certificates etc.). It is designed to provide a description of the nature, level, context, content and status of the studies that were pursued and successfully completed by the individual named on the original qualification to which this supplement is appended. It should be free from any value-judgements, equivalence statements or suggestions about recognition. It is a flexible non-prescriptive tool which is designed to save time, money and workload. It is capable of adaptation to local needs.
The DS is produced by national institutions according to a template that has been developed by a Joint European Commission - Council of Europe - UNESCO working party that tested and refined it. The DS template is available in the 11 official EU languages
What it is not ?
• It is not a Curriculum Vitae.
• It is not a substitute for the original qualification or a transcript.
• It is not an automatic system that guarantees recognition.
What does the diploma supplement offer to the students ?
• A diploma that is more readable and easily comparable abroad.
• A precise description of their academic cursus and on the competencies acquired during the study period.
• Objectivity and a fair judgement of their achievements and competencies
• An easier access to opportunities of work or further studies abroad
• It fosters their employability (employers are more and more interested by the student profile that is provided for in the DS).
What does the diploma supplement offer to higher education institutions ?
• It facilitates academic and professional recognition, thus increasing the transparency of qualifications.
• It protects national/institutional autonomy while offering a common frame which is accepted all over Europe.
• It promotes informed judgements about qualifications that can be understood in another educational context.
• It raises the visibility of the institution abroad.
• It promotes the employability of their graduates at national and international level.
• It helps saving time since it provides the answers to a lot of recurrent questions put to administrative services in institutions about the content and portability of diplomas.
Why is the diploma supplement needed ?
New qualifications proliferate worldwide and countries are constantly changing their qualification systems and educational structures under the impact of rapid economic, political and technological change. An increasing number of mobile citizens are seeking the fair recognition of their qualifications. The non-recognition and poor-evaluation of qualifications is now a global problem. Since original credentials alone do not provide sufficient information, it is very difficult to gauge the level and function of a qualification without detailed appropriate explanation.
The Diploma Supplement is a response to these challenges since :
• It promotes transparency in higher education.
• It accommodates rapid changes in qualifications.
• It aids mobility, access and lifelong learning.
• It promotes fair and informed judgements about qualifications.
Contact Person:Prof.Dr. Neslihan BOYAN
Cukurova University ECTS/DS Institutial Coordinator